Thursday, October 21, 2010

Not So Gentle Introductions (Part I)

It hadn’t been three weeks in my new position of Arch Magus that I was already getting fed up with the politics that it came with. The sly old fox had this all planned out. Not only did it slow down my research it added many of dauntless tasks into the mix.

There where public appearances at every major event I was expected to attend now. Be it weddings, duels, tournaments, balls, and the most maddening was the council. A group of forty wealthy nobles, a handful of high ranking generals from the army and shadow corps, the now thirteen Arch Magus, and the king all sitting in the Ballad Chamber Room talking in circles and accomplishing nothing.

To add to my delight were the countless noblemen wanting to introduce me to their daughters. The ugliness, stupidity, and shear boredom of each of these snobby women I was introduced to almost made me wonder how the (enter race here) had survived for so many generations. Hmm, I guess it’s not always survival of the fittest, but one would think that evolution would have breed out some of these jean pools by now.

But on this day during the council meeting Arch Magus Balthzeer and King Keldar had put together a scheme to get me on a certain wild goose chase. King Keldar stood at the front of the council and beseeched the strongest and most well fit from each of his High seats for a journey to Younfeelpe Island. This quest will be to find if they existed and bring back a feelpe for him as a mount.

Legend has it the feelpe is a cross between a solid white rhino, an eagle, and panther. They are said to be the most precise hunters with there quick dives agile turns and cuts and armored scale like feathers they gave their prey no chance to know what was coming or ability to escape. Speaking of escape no one has ever returned from the island.

General Gremmik was quick to appoint Kozak as the warrior for this task. High Priest Infestelia offered the services of Croff for the healing duties. Arch Magus Balthzeer appointed none other then me shocking …. And to round out the party a Glade master Dawnspring chose Raddect as the Ranger.

“Fine, Fine, choices,” The king proclaimed! “Take three days to muster what you will need and set your affairs in order then come to the castle four days from now at a pinch past dawn and I will see you off from the harbor.”

As I stood there next to a dwarf, Ogre, Centaur I knew this would be a long journey.  One I hope we will return from.

No comments:

Post a Comment