Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Skin Art

Late one evening the proctor of the Great Library came to the table I had something shy of fifty books stacked on. “Magus Coridan sir, would you mind if we closed early tonight as my daughter is getting married in the morning and I would love to give her moon tip lilies from the mountain.”

“Sure Proctor Castrum, may I borrow this book here for the night to keep me occupied?”

“Why yes Coridan, but a book on tribal inscriptions is a little out of the norm for you isn’t it?”

I laughed, “It’s a book in your library what is not normal about me with a book?”

As we walked out of the building Castrum rushed towards to western gate. I headed to a new acquaintance I had made in the shady part of town. His name was Lenar Stempel; he had a hand for body art. We had been discussing the different lizardmen tribes and their shaman tattoos that summoned their spirit companions just with a touch. If the ink used was magical or the person doing the inscription was binding the companion to the tattoo. We had covered most of every topic concerning magical runes and inscriptions. I even pulled in some draconic markings on scales we had in the library to explain how the elder dragons protected themselves from dragon hunters with similar inscriptions.

Lener finally agreed he would do the tattoo if I could aquire everything needed to do it. His list was extensive at first glance impossible. I mean where all of HADES was I to aquire fire mephit blood?
It took about two total years of research and bargining to finally acquire the ink and needles needed. The Arch Mage gave me a lot of help aquiring the items needed for project. I might even said his connections where invaluable to getting this project completed. But he was getting curious why I needed the items I had requested. I had held him off for the two years it took to aquire everything and get the patterns drawn for the tattoo.  I had told him in three days to visit me at Leners place.

I had the needles made in the dwarven lava mines, the hottest kilns of all of Keldar. The ink had a crushed red dragon scale, claw, salvia gland, elvish fire water, blood of a fire mephit, and the ink base from Galentula the giant octopus of the western sea.

We were to start the inscriptions on my hands that night. The process was going to last three days and nights. When it was over I would have sleeves cresting onto my breast and back. The knotted flames with inscriptions written in draconic where going to be a first of its kind. I had only tested it on a few mice most of which would die due to the heat of the ink.

Lener put the neddle into a cedar handle to protect him from how hot the needle would become. As he dipped the needle in the ink Lener said, "Lets begin shall we?" As the needle crossed over my skin for the first time the ink burned deep into my body at times it felt like my soul was being assulted. This is what the men I have burnt to dust must have felt in their last moments. As the needle started to glow from the heat of the ink I relized  I had to bare this pain for three days. I dont know if i was prepared for this, but its to late now lets just hope I can endure this smeldering pain.  

Lenar was amazed at the lack of blood, but it seems the ink was innately sealing the wounds with its heat. He was amazing during these three days his hand was as steady as it was on the first day. Although he has a very small grasp of what he is marking my body with. He grew  attach to the project as though it was his very own. And this simple attachment to his own work made my piece of art even better due to his heart and soul being poured into it.

When the third day dawned the Arch Magus visited me in Lenar’s shop to see how close the final result was. And the look of fear came across his face. “Coridan, do you realize the depths of what will constantly grow on you body now?” He said as he backed up estonished.  

Weakly I said “Yes I do, not only will this grow across my body as I grow. It has the power to amplify my power by the same increment.  Hence the reasoning of why I did it. This will be one of the only things in my life time that will ever be able to keep pace with my level if I can survive the rest of it."

This night was the night the Arch Magus knew how far ahead of him in the realm of magica I was. He took me into the council the next week and showed them my work. Explained it to those who where completely lost. Some where amazed, others frightened. To add to the ordeal he then he put my name into the the air to be promoted to Arch Magus. With all the responsibility and status that come with such a title.

One thing the Arch Magus Balthzeer always will have over me will be the foresight of wisdom.   This status upgrade would seal my alliance to the Kingdom and put me in my place as a protector. A wise move on his part.

No comments:

Post a Comment